Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Hymn


Alleluia! Alleluia!
Hearts to heaven and voices raise;
sing to God a hymn of gladness,
sing to God a hymn of praise;
He who on the cross an off'ring
for the world's salvation bled,
Jesus Christ, the King of Glory,
now is risen from the dead.

Christ is risen, Christ the first fruits
of the holy harvest field,
which will all its full abundance
at His second coming yield.
Then the golden ears of harvest
will their heads before Him wave,
ripened by His Glorious sunshine
from the furrows of the grave.

Alleluia! Alleluia!
Glory to the Three in One:
to the Father, and the Saviour,
who the victory has won.
Glory to the Holy Spirit
fount of love and sanctity.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
To the Triune Majesty.


I always think of this as "Tabitha's hymn" because we chose it as the final song of her funeral service. Even though singing it makes me cry, I was so glad to sing this song in church this Easter morning. It is only through Christ's victory, through his resurrection, that I can experience hope in the midst of loss and grief.


1 comment:

Sue said...

I think of it as Tabitha's hymn too ... that's part of why I love it so much. Easter hymns have always been my favourites, but even more in the past few years.